Transition to a Canadian Workforce
Canada is a top choice for many foreign nationals to come to work, to study and eventually to live permanently. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (Immigration Canada) has various programs in place to enable the entry of foreign nationals into Canada as permanent residents, in order to maximize Canada’s economy, as well as its cultural identity.
Immigration Canada has various programs in place for the intake and processing of permanent residence applications, and it is broken down into two broad groups – Economic class and Non-economic class:
- Economic class – is designed for foreign nationals who can demonstrate their ability to become economically established in Canada. This class includes programs such as:
- Non-economic class – is designed for foreign nationals who are coming to Canada under a family sponsorship program or under a humanitarian based program. This class includes programs such as:
- Family Class
- Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada
- Humanitarian and Compassionate considerations
- Refugees and Protected Persons
If one is interested in immigrating to Quebec, they would need to first apply for a Quebec Certificate of Selection (CSQ) with the Ministère de l’immigration, de la diversité et de l’inclusion (Immigration Quebec). The province of Quebec has a special agreement with the Government of Canada regarding immigration and has a distinct set of rules for choosing foreign nationals who will sufficiently integrate into Quebec society.