[Warning] is_readable(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/opt/plesk/php/5.6/share/pear/Zend/Translate/Adapter/I18nRailsYamlAdapter.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/vhosts/drnlaw.ca/:/tmp/)

GET /individual-immigration/visit-canada/electronic-travel-authorizations/

Line 198 in /var/www/vhosts/drnlaw.ca/httpdocs/framework/thirdparty/Zend/Loader.php


190         foreach (self::explodeIncludePath() as $path) {
191             if ($path == '.') {
192                 if (is_readable($filename)) {
193                     return true;
194                 }
195                 continue;
196             }
197             $file = $path . '/' . $filename;
198             if (is_readable($file)) {
199                 return true;
200             }
201         }
202         return false;
203     }


Electronic Travel Authorizations

Electronic Travel Authorizations

All visa-exempt foreign nationals (excluding citizens of the United States of America and some other exceptions) must apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to enter or transit through Canada by air. If you are a citizen of one of the following countries and of no other country, you will require an eTA to enter or transit through Canada by air:

  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belgium
  • British citizen
  • British national (overseas)
  • British overseas citizen (re-admissible to the United Kingdom)
  • British overseas territory citizen with citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of:
    • Anguilla
    • Bermuda
    • British Virgin Islands
    • Cayman Islands
    • Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
    • Gibraltar
    • Montserrat
    • Pitcairn Island
    • Saint Helena
    • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • British Subject with a right of abode in the United Kingdom
  • Brunei Darussalam
  • Bulgaria
  • Chile
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong 
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Israel, must have a national Israeli passport
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Mexico
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Samoa
  • San Marino
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Solomon Islands
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Vatican City State

The following individuals do not require or do not qualify for an eTA: 

  • Visa-exempt foreign nationals entering Canada by land or sea;
  • Canadian citizens;
  • Canadian permanent residents;
  • Foreign nationals with a valid Canadian status document (e.g. workers, students, or visitors) who re-enter Canada after visiting the US or St. Pierre and Miquelon; 
  • Foreign nationals with a valid Canadian temporary resident visa (TRV) or temporary resident permit (TRP); and
  • US citizens. 

If approved, an eTA is electronically linked to the foreign national’s passport and is usually valid for five years or the duration of their passport, whichever is sooner.

Please note that airlines will not allow a foreign national to check in for and / or board their flight to Canada unless they have a valid eTA, if required. In most cases, applications for an eTA are processed automatically. However, some applications can take several weeks to process.  

If a foreign national has applied for a temporary status document (e.g. a work permit or a study permit) at a Canadian visa office abroad or an extension of their temporary status document from within Canada, an eTA should be issued with their status document.