Work Off Campus

A foreign national who is a full-time student at a “designated learning institution” in Canada and holds a valid study permit may be eligible to work off-campus without a work permit.

If so, they can work part-time (i.e. up to 20 hours per week) during the regular school sessions and full time during all breaks, including spring break and winter and summer holidays. To qualify to work off campus, a foreign national must:

  • Have a valid study permit;
  • Be a full-time student;
  • Be enrolled at a “designated learning institution” at the post-secondary level or a vocational program at a secondary level in Quebec; 
  • Be studying in an academic, vocational, or professional training program that is at least six months in duration and leads to a degree, diploma, or certificate.  

A foreign national is not eligible to work off campus if:

  • They are enrolled in an English as a Second Language (ESL) or French as a Second Language (FSL) program; 
  • They are studying a general interest course or program; or
  • They are a visiting or exchange student at a “designated learning institution”.

Please note that everyone needs a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada. In order for an international student to apply for a SIN to work off-campus, they must have one of the following conditions listed on their study permit:

  • “May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies”; or
  • “May accept employment on or off campus…”

If a foreign national does not have one of these conditions listed on their study permit, they must apply to change the conditions of their study permit before they can apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work.